Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Brussels!

So we have all arrived in Brussels as of Saturday, May 15th. It was a bit rainy and cold during the weekend and at the start of the week, but the weather is surely turning around to be sunny and nice and cool. :) We were put up in a nice hotel right off the Grand Place for Saturday evening while also eating a delicious dinner at Grand Cafe (I think that's what it was called?).

Since then, Jerry has taken us on a few tours of Brussels, which have been quite interesting and cool! It's a very diverse and complex city with its many layers of history, culture, and politics. We have also had time to explore and enjoy the different restaurants, cafes, and shops around the city. It's great to be here!

We moved in with our host families as of Sunday, May 16th, which was an exciting and nerve-wracking day! So far I think everyone is enjoying their stay... We'll see how that shapes up.

We have done a few interviews for our internships starting today. Mine went well, I hope?, haha, and everyone I ran into during the process seemed to be having positive experiences too. It was a bit intense when we were first introduced to what would happen during the internship interview process, but once in it, it really isn't too bad.

This weekend will be a trip with everyone to Leuven, Antwerp, Ghent, and then Bruges. It looks like it will be a fun weekend! :) I am especially excited to check out Bruges because I have heard it is incredibly beautiful and I rather enjoyed the film "In Bruges" so I am eager to check the city (town?) out.

Well, I have homework to get to (a distance learning course, not a part of the AU Brussels program, so have no fear future readers of this blog and potential participants... you will not be bogged down by homework while here).

I will update again next week with info on our trips around Belgium and the results of our internships...!

-The Swede

No comments:

Post a Comment